Want a quick and easy recipe with minimal ingredients or fuss? Then try these fabulous little shortbread cookies. Made with whole grain White Whole Wheat Flour and coconut oil instead of butter. They are buttery, crumbly and delicious. Leave them plain or decorate them as you wish. Shape them into little balls for round cookies or press the mixture into a round pan and turn them into petticoat tails (longer cooking time would be needed). The amount of coconut oil needed will really depend on the time of year and how soft it is. Start with the lesser amount and if you need a little more to get the mixture to hold together then add a teaspoon at a time until the crumbs can hold a ball shape when squeezed. Shortbread doesn’t just have to be for Christmas so enjoy anytime of the year. ~J
- 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups Coconut Oil, warmed slightly (soft not liquid)
- 1 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Icing Sugar
- 3 Cups Anita’s Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix ingredients in bowl, resulting mixture will appear crumbly.
- Use a tablespoon, shape the dough into balls.
- Use a fork to press down on each ball to flatten each one a bit.
- Decorate with cranberries or almonds if desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden around the edges.
- When fully cooked, remove from the oven and allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
Funding support provided, in part, by the BC Government’s Buy Local Program; delivered by the Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC with funding from the Government of British Columbia.