Quite often you come across a recipe that just becomes an instant family favourite. It’s one of those recipes that when found in a book, it immediately falls open at the correct page and that page is covered in splashes; dirty finger marks and chocolate stains because it has been used so often. This is one of those recipes in our house. You can use our regular Fine Grind Spelt Flour or All Purpose Spelt Flour instead of the Sprouted Spelt Flour if you wish.Enjoy! ~J
- 1/4 cup Anita’s Organic Brown or Coconut Sugar
- 1/3 cup Almond Butter or other nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup; coconut nectar; barley malt syrup
- or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 1/4 cup Anita’s Organic Sprouted Kamut Flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract or the seeds from 1 vanilla pod)
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Chocolate Chips
- Milk (non-dairy or regular) for binding (about 2 to 3 tbsps)
- Whole almonds or pecans – optional for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond butter; sugar; maple syrup; and sunflower oil.
- In another bowl, mix together the flours; chocolate chips; vanilla powder; baking powder; baking soda; and salt.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well. Drizzle in the milk one tablespoon at a time until the mixture starts to come together to form a cookie dough.
- Scoop tablespoon sizes of the dough and shape into balls. Place on the lined tray and press down slightly with your fingers. Decorate each cookie with a whole almond – if required.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden around the edges. Place on a wire rack to cool fully
Funding support provided, in part, by the BC Government’s Buy Local Program; delivered by the Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC with funding from the Government of British Columbia.