Cookies, cookies, cookies. Just how many recipes for cookies does one person need? Well lots in fact. Why not? It’s the perfect excuse to bake cookies – why wouldn’t you want to try that new recipe! These delicious cookies are a little like an oatmeal cookie but with a bit of fall/winter thrown in. The extra fruit and nuts give a little more bite and the cranberries and currants give some tartness to this sweet little creation. But it’s not too sweet. This cookie is not your full-on indulgent toffee/chocolate/rocky road type cookie with tooth-aching sweetness. It’s a perfect ‘with your morning coffee’ type of cookie or a great after school snack. But if you really can’t have a cookie without chocolate then feel free to throw in a handful or two of chocolate chips. The Spelt and Emmer Flours are easily interchangeable so if you don’t have Emmer Flour then use either our Fine Grind or Sprouted Spelt flour. Don’t have All Purpose Spelt Flour then you can use regular All Purpose Flour or just go for full on 100% whole grain and use more of the Emmer Flour and or Spelt Fine Grind (or Sprouted Spelt). This may alter the texture slightly but the taste will still be there. Enjoy! ~J
- 2 tbsp Anita’s Organic Flaxmeal
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cups Anita’s Organic Spelt Flakes
- 1/3 cup Anita’s Organic Emmer Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic All Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1/4 cup Anita’s Organic Brown or Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Anita’s Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or 1 tsp extract or seeds scraped from 1 whole vanilla bean)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup brazil nuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup currant raisins
- 2 tbsp hemp seed
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper – set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and water and set aside to thicken (will have the consistency of an egg)
- In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flakes; emmer flour; spelt flour; sugars; baking soda; salt; vanilla powder; cinnamon; dried fruit; chopped nuts and hemp seed (any combination of fruit & nuts can be used).
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the melted coconut oil; maple syrup; and flax meal mixture. Stir well until fully incorporated. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- When the mixture has cooled take tablespoon size amounts of the dough and roll into balls (2 tbsp to make large cookie – to yield 12 or 1 tbsp to make smaller cookies – to yield 24). Place on the lined trays and flatten slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes (a little less for smaller cookies) until golden around the edges.
- Remove from tray and place on a wire rack to cool fully.
Funding support provided, in part, by the BC Government’s Buy Local Program; delivered by the Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC with funding from the Government of British Columbia.