Here at Anita’s we have been working our way through the wheat–free flours we carry to see how they behave during baking.
It is a little more challenging working with wheat-free flours because there is no gluten. Gluten is the result of moisture mixing with the proteins in wheat flour. Gluten is also what gives bread the stretch and elasticity when kneading and the binder in muffins, cookies and cakes.
Our customers love keeping in touch through our monthly newsletters. With the launch of our improved Anita’s Corner, we’re going to be changing the way we distribute these awesome compilations.
All of the newsletters that we’ve made up till now will be posted below for you to download. In the future, as newsletters are released every month, we’ll make a new post for each month.
Find answers to many of your questions here in our FAQ area. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Give us a call at 604.823.5547 and we’ll be able to help you out even better!
Topics covered include:
- Are there any additives or preservatives in Anita’s Organic Mixes?
- Which allergens could be present at Anita’s Organic?
- Anita’s Organic Red Lentils are listed as being “Unpeeled”, what does this mean? Do they cook differently than split red lentils?
- What is the difference between Anita’s Organic Green Lentils and Anita’s Organic French Green Lentils?
- What is Anita’s Organic Non-Alum Baking Powder? How does it work?
- Are there additives present in the Anita’s Organic Seedless Thompson Raisins?
- Why does Anita’s Organic sell whole unground flaxseed? Isn’t it best consumed in a ground state?
- What is the difference between Anita’s Organic Brown Flaxseed and Anita’s Organic Golden Flaxseed?
- How is ground flaxseed used as an egg substitute in baking?
- What are the health benefits of consuming flaxseed? How can I use flaxseed in my kitchen?
- What is the difference between Anita’s Organic Quick Rolled Oats and Anita’s Organic Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats?
- What are Anita’s Organic Steel-Cut Oats?
- Are there certain products at Anita’s Organic appropriate for a person with a gluten allergy?
- Are there certain products at Anita’s Organic appropriate for a person with a gluten sensitivity?
- Are there certain grains at Anita’s Organic appropriate for a person with a wheat sensitivity?
- I’d like to eat foods to help improve my digestion. How can Anita’s Organic help?
- Why are Anita’s Organic Whole Grain products healthier than refined flour products?
Breakfast Just Got Better.
Start the morning off right with a wholesome, 100% organic instant oat cereal.
High in protein and bursting with flavor, Anita’s Organic Morning Rush™ Instant Oat Cereal is sure to brighten your mornings. Anita’s Organic Morning Rush™ line is an instant oat cereal available in three delicious flavours. Enjoy Morning Rush™ on its own or pair it with some of your favorite fruits.
Introducing… Anita’s New & Improved Signature Cookie Creations.
Anita’s Signature Cookie Creations offers whole grain goodness in a sweet treat for every occasion.
Anita’s Signature Cookie Creations are a new and improved whole grain based mix that provides you with a quick and easy alternative for your classic cookie creations. Kids love them for the taste, adults and parents love them for their nutritional benefits. What will you love them for?
Multigrain with seeds
- 230 g unbleached white flour (bread flour)
- 2 g fresh (or 4 g dry yeast)
- 145 ml water
- 250 g stoneground organic whole wheat flour
- 60 g organic rye flour
- 12 g sea salt
- 14 g fresh yeast (or 28 g dry yeast)
- 230 ml lukewarm water
- 20 g molasses
- 60 g organic sesame seeds
- 60 g organic pumpkin seeds
- 60 g organic golden flax seeds
- 60 g organic sunflower seeds
Combine the white flour, yeast and water and knead it to a smooth dough (approx. 2 – 3 min), cover the dough in a container or mixing bowl and allow it to ferment at room temperature for 16 – 20 hours…
So this recipe is a definite beauty in terms of visual brilliance and it tastes pretty amazing too! With the jewel red colour of the cranberries; the vibrant green of the parsley; the deep purple colour of the Forbidden Rice contrasting with the subtle hues of the wheat berries it makes a perfect dish for any occasion. Feast with your eyes!
- 2 cups pre-cooked Anita’s Organic Hard Red Spring Wheat Kernels (berries)*
- 1 cup pre-cooked Forbidden Rice (black rice)(we used Lotus Foods brand)*
- 2/3 cup Anita’s Organic toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Cranberries
- ½ cup freshly chopped parsley
So recently we have been making a very conscious effort to stick to healthy eating in our house. Are we perfect? Far from it, I bake yummy vegan treats so no more needs to be said on the matter! But one of the things I have insisted on is well planned out meals every week, all cooked from scratch with wholesome ingredients and as organic as humanly possible.
This isn’t rocket science and certainly nothing new but it helps to keep us focused on healthy eating and avoids impulse buys and quick fix, maybe not so healthy, meals. So where is this going, oh yes, my menu planning was how I found this recipe. I was looking for a different kind of side dish to accompany almost any meal and happened across this one. It was very quick and simple to make, tasty and could be easily adapted to suit anyone’s taste. Enjoy!
- 2 cups emmer, (see Tip)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Urgent – Recall of products that include chocolate chips:
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Anita’s Organic Grain and Flour Mill Ltd are warning people with allergies to milk not to consume the Anita’s Organic Mill products described below. The affected products may contain milk which is not declared on the label.
Read Full Recall PDF