Here at Anita’s Organic we pride ourselves on the quality and variety of flours we can offer to our customers. At last count we have over 30 different types of organic flours and the family just keeps on growing! What will be next? Included in our selection are 14 different types of Non-Wheat/Non- Gluten flours which are all on special this month. So if you are looking for something a little different for your baking then look no further. All of our recipes this month will be made from these flours so if you are looking to try something new then these are a great place to start.
Here is an easy way to incorporate extra protein and fibre into your baking – by using red lentil flour. This beautiful flour with its coral pink hue adds nutrition and flavour to this dinner favourite. Try adding some fresh chopped jalapeño for a bit of oomph!
What goes best with a cup of coffee? A muffin of course and these are no exception. With a rich maple flavour and studded with our local, seasonal blueberries they are a perfect mid morning snack. They are best served warm and can be a little delicate but totally delicious. The addition of the xanthan gum/guar gum is optional but will hold the non-gluten flours together a little better (we don’t use it – and still love texture just the way it is). Enjoy!
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Millet Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum (optional)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup maple syrup (no 3 is our favourite)
- 1 cup blueberries
We can’t have Canada Day celebrations here in beautiful British Columbia without a Nanaimo Bar can we? This decadent treat has been adapted to use wheat/gluten alternatives and this particular one is vegan too. But hey – we love to experiment just like you do so feel free to switch it up. We must confess there is a little cheating going on here as the filling of this bar is actually some leftover frosting (rather than the traditional custard filling) but it works (and saves time). The filling can be any flavour you like – vanilla; mint (mmmmmm); Irish Cream; and even lemon (yep lemon & chocolate works). And as we have cheated they can be ready in next to no time. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Anita’s Organic Almond Flour
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Shredded Coconut
- 1/3 cup Anita’s Organic Cacao Powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or (1tsp vanilla extract)
- 4 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp Anita’s Organic Flaxmeal
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (measure when melted)
No – not the Mr T – though he may like them too – but one of our husbands, who is affectionately known as Mr T. When growing up, Coconut Macaroons (not to be confused with the delicate French pastry item called Macaron) were his favourite. Sweet, chewy and packed with coconutty goodness these little nuggets of deliciousness are a family favourite and make a great teatime treat. The recipe has been adapted to use non-gluten flours and tastes just as fabulous. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Makes approx 24)
- 2/3 cup Sprouted Kamut Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Anita’s Organic Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Anita’s Organic Ceylon Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Anita’s Organic Baking Soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or dairy alternative
- 1 egg or equivalent egg substitute
Anita’s Organic Chopped Pecans amount to your liking.